Pets are our faithful friends who are always ready to cheer up and frolic. However, caring for cats in an apartment setting is not an easy task. To equip the pet’s toilet, a special filler is used, but it does not always cope with an unpleasant odor. So how do you get rid of cat odor and keep your house clean? Tell Novate.ru!
Why does a specific aroma occur?
Of course, the waste products of the cat themselves have a piquant flair. There are other factors that further exacerbate the problem.
1. Rare replacement of cat litter.
2. Superficial cleansing, as a result of which dirty particles accumulate on the bottom and continue to exude aroma.
3. The pet “misses” past the tray or spreads the dirty filler with its paws.
4. The litter is of poor quality and cannot completely neutralize cat odors.
5. Wrong pet diet, which makes the smell of urine more pungent.
How to get rid of an unpleasant smell?
Do not scold your pet for causing “inconvenience”. Caring for an animal in an apartment is a responsible event. However, everything is not as difficult as it seems, if you regularly follow certain rules.
1. New day – fresh filler
Obvious advice, but many people neglect it because of laziness or economy. Daily replacement of the filler will help to avoid the accumulation of unpleasant odors and their spread. Set a cleaning schedule for yourself and clean the tray regularly. If the cat has done its business in front of you, it is better to replace the filler immediately, rather than waiting for the aromas to spread throughout all the rooms.
2. General cleaning
“Generalization” is necessary not only in the apartment, but also in the cat’s tray. On weekdays, the main thing is to clean the toilet at least once a day. On the weekends, a general cleaning will not hurt. It is important not only to replace the filler, but also to remove all the components of the tray and rinse thoroughly. The procedure will take no more than half an hour. Walk with soapy water in all corners of the toilet, rinse, dry the tray, and after 5-10 minutes pour a new filler.
3. Additional funds
If regular cleaning is not enough, take on additional tricks. For example, flavored filler, filter or substances to eliminate stench. It is important that the smell is not saturated and sharp, otherwise the pet may completely refuse the tray.
How to choose a tray?
The right tray is not only a container for filler, but also a holder for aromas. How to choose the right product?
1. Standard trays
They can be with or without a grid. They don’t cause problems for cats. The only negative is that pets like to rake out the dirty filler around the tray, so pay attention to products with high sides.
2. Closed trays
They look like houses, hold cat scents well and prevent the “migration” of the filler. Disadvantage – some animals are afraid of confined spaces.
3. Dry closets
Modern technology keeps all odors inside, and a special filter neutralizes the aroma. There are variations with double and triple bottom, drain, self-cleaning. Minus – the dimensions of the structure and the high cost.
How to choose a filler?
The role of the filler is also important. It should eliminate stench and keep the tray dry. The best filler is the one that fits the comfort of the cat and is suitable for the care of the owner. What option to choose?
1. Clumping Good
variety. After getting wet, the filler hardens and lumps can be easily removed with a scoop. There are varieties with and without flavors.
2. Silica gel The
best option. The granules absorb liquid well, but remain dry themselves, preventing the spread of savory flavors. Disadvantages – the cost is slightly higher, plus some cats do not like this filler.
The most budgetary variety. There are both natural and flavored options. Minus – during the cleaning of the tray, sawdust crumbles, revealing an unpleasant odor.
Absorbs and retains cat odors well. This is an environmentally friendly filler. Among the shortcomings – it ceases to absorb aromas after complete moisturizing, it is less practical in everyday life.
eco-friendly cat litter with economical consumption (one package lasts up to two weeks) and affordable price. The material absorbs unpleasant odors and moisture well. Minus – a lot of dust is formed around the tray.
It is best to choose a filler with a subtle natural aroma and natural composition. Combination toilets also work well – a mixture of different materials in one tray for reliable protection against stench and moisture.
1. One of the properties of soda is the absorption of unpleasant odors and moisture. Pour the product into the bottom of the tray to provide additional safety net.
2. Watch your cat’s diet. If protein metabolism is disturbed, the pet’s urine may give off ammonia. Also, the aroma is affected by various diseases.
3. While cleaning the tray, use some vinegar and baking soda to neutralize unwanted odors.
4. If the cat likes to make a mess near the tray, lay a mat next to the toilet. So the filler does not have to be collected throughout the room, and the pet will have time to wipe the dirty paws.
5. Position the tray in the bathroom or hallway. The kitchen and living rooms are not the best options.
6. During cleaning, clean not only the tray, but also the place where it is located.
7. To try out a new litter, take some and test your pet’s reaction. If after 1-2 days the cat does not get used to the toilet, you need to find another option.
By following our recommendations, a good aroma will reign in your apartment, and the cat will bring only positive emotions. Sometimes pets can neglect the tray, “marking” furniture or clothes.